Per the Montgomery County Sheriff due to the continued threat of COVID-19 face coverings will
be required as well as social distancing by all people entering the building.
The Supervisor of Assessments Office will only be allowing 4 people into the office, 2 at the
counter and 2 in the waiting area.
IF POSSIBLE we encourage you to conduct business by phone, mail, internet or the new drop
box located near the fire escape on the North side of the Historic Courthouse.
Thank you all for your continued cooperation and understanding.
The office of the Supervisor of Assessments administers the property assessment cycle for the local real estate tax.
Office responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working with elected township assessors.
- Making name and address changes for tax billing.
- Calculating farmland assessments from values which are certified from the Illinois Department of Revenue.
- Applying equalization factors.
- Assisting the Board of Review by providing needed information. For an explanation of its duties see Board of Review.
- Assisting taxpayers in preparation of the Senior Homestead Exemption and the Senior Citizens Assessment Freeze Application. (Click here for link to list of exemptions)
- Processing other types of exemptions (Click here for link to list of exemptions)
- Maintaining mapping of aerial photography.
- Compiling abstract information for the Illinois Department of Revenue.
The Supervisor of Assessments is appointed by the County Board for a four-year term. In Illinois the level of assessment is to be 33 1/3 percent of market value. The assessed value of the property, minus any exemptions if applicable, is the base on which tax levies are calculated. The tax rate is determined by the property tax dollars each local taxing body needs to operate. That rate multiplied by the equalized assessed value results in the tax dollar amount on your tax statement.
Tax Bill questions are answered by the Treasurer’s Office.
Rate questions are answered by the County Clerk's Office.
The office of Supervisor of Assessments Ray Durston is located on the second floor of the Historic Courthouse in Hillsboro.
Hours are 8:00 AM-4:00 PM Monday –Friday.
Phone:( 217) 532-9595
Supervisor of Assessments
1 Courthouse Square Room 201
Hillsboro, IL 62049